Browser-friendly version

Monday, July 18, 2005

TechDis Toolbar – customising your browsing experience

I said I’d update you on the TechDis toolbar once I’d had a chance to have a play with it - well I have now and I must say my first impressions are good.

It installed really quickly with no fuss at all. It’s also very intuitive and, to use a common phrase ‘does exactly what it says on the tin.’ It zooms in and out magnifying the page, no problem. You can also display page text in the following font types:

  • Arial
  • Verdana
  • Tahoma
  • Comic Sans
  • Times New Roman
  • Georgia
  • Courier (Monospace)
You can select any of the following colour schemes for the page:

So after a few mouse clicks, the ace:UK page that originally looked like this…


…looked like this…


I agree with Josie's point, it would be useful if it retained the settings when browsing (you currently have to reset these each time you leave a page, although the zoom seems to stay on) but yes it’s useful for reading long pages of text.

I also liked the fact that they provide direct links to TechDis on the menu, but wondered whether the link to ‘about toolbar’ should take you here instead of the home page? Just a thought.

Overall I think it was a great tool which I’d certainly be recommending for use in Adult and Community Learning centres. Not only could it demonstrate that a centre is striving for inclusion in terms of accessibility and making resources available to support this, it's so easy to use that it could help many learners customise their own browsing experiences as simply as they might adjust their seat. Great stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home