Browser-friendly version

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Email, Gmail and Google Talk

There's been a lot in the news this week about the new free 'Google Talk' which was unveiled on Wednesday (24th Aug).

Google Talk is a downloadable Windows application that lets you send instant messages or talk to other people for free, anywhere in the world.

Calls are made through a regular computer using voice technology. All you need to use it is an Internet connection, a microphone, a speaker.

...and a Gmail username and password.

What's Gmail...?

Gmail is Google's free webmail service which was released in Beta last year. These accounts have 2,000+ megabytes of storage (which is more than the amounts currently offered by the likes of Yahoo or Hotmail) as well as several other nifty features too. Click here for a screenshot.



I currently use a Gmail account as a very simple method of temporary storage and back up for files. For example if I'm doing a presentation somewhere that has internet access, I'll just email the file to my Gmail account as an attachment, as well as taking it with me on a USB stick. That way, if there are any problems with the USB stick, I have the file stored online as an emergency back up. Several months later I can still easily find and access it if I want to.

There are other things you can do with your Gmail account too; take a look at Jim's complete collection of Gmail tips, or fancy the idea of creating an online hard drive using a Gmail account? then read what Josie has to say here.

Google are still only offering Gmail as part of a preview release so you can only get an account by invitation. Fortunately, I still happen to have several free invites that I'm happy to give out to anyone who wants one. So if you want to try Gmail yourself just drop me an email to let me know.

2 Comments:

At 5:11 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Well I never.

Just noticed there’s something funny going on with my Gmail invites – instead of going down, the number I have available has now gone up. So, let me get this straight – the more I give out the more I have left to give??!

Umm, I'm not sure how that works but I certainly won’t complain...

Roll up; roll up – any more for any more...?!!!

 
At 6:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow gold
world of warcraft gold

 

Post a Comment

<< Home